Friday, February 18, 2011

A bunch of hacking sickies

It seems like the sickness never ends at the Starkey house. Since the beginning of the year we have had two stomach flus, two RSV's and two ear infections. George has missed an ENTIRE week of school due to a constant fever and a cough that just doesn't stop. The cough is so bad, he makes himself sick from it. I have to wake him up in the middle of the night sometimes because he doesn't even realize he is coughing in his sleep. I got a call from his best friend's mother to see if everything was alright. This came a day AFTER the teacher called to check in. It's nice to know he is missed :)

Last night, Henry spiked a fever and started wheezing. He was breathing really fast and it scared us. I called the on-call pediatrician but no one called me back. Nice. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I couldn't take another week of a sick child if something could be done about it.

Fast forward to the pediatrician this morning. Three hours spent and we come home with a these goodies:




I usually don't run to the dr at the first sign of fever since I am a veteran mother. I am usually sent home, more times than not, with the expert "advice" of more rest and fluids. Duh. Really? I am also one of those mothers that doesn't like to give their child antibiotics unless they really need it. Antibiotics are completely overused and I want them to work when I really need them to.

This time? This time, going to the Dr was a good thing. A very good thing. Henry did not think so, though,  as he was assaulted everywhere but it was for his own good and he won't remember right? At least I hope he won't. He put up a huge fight with the nebulizer until George and I started to sing to him. First it was "Twinkle Twinkle", then "Apples and Bananas" and finally "Old McDonald." (BTW What sound does a stingray make?) I am sure everyone could hear us but I didn't care. Nothing pulls at my heart like a screaming sick child. He finally gave into it after a few minutes and actually fell asleep. Look at this pitiful little boy:



All is well now. They have dumped the entire contents of the Lego bucket out in their room and are playing happily. Now, if I could just stop myself from passing out amidst those Legos. Mama needs sleep.

Marriage NOTE: Mark sent me a text today: "You are my perfect pair." Awwwww. Swoon.
I love that man.

Valentine's NOTE: Went to the gym on Valentine's Day. It was almost empty. I fought the urge to tell the person next to me that I had a Valentine and wasn't alone on Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day at the gym is pitiful.

Here's some cute misc pictures I have taken over the past few days. The weather has been so nice I let the sickies out of the house to play until the hacking coughing attracted too much attention.



He fell asleep and this was all I could think of to cover him. Not my brightest moment. 




"Toss me again, Daddy!"


We don't believe in regular children's toys around here. 






What a beautiful big boy!



I just love his rolls. LOVE LOVE LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment