Monday, February 20, 2012

My son is a sponge



If you know anything about me or my family, you know that we have had some concerns about Henry's development. It's such a long story so I don't feel like retelling it. It is, however, becoming more apparent by the day that Henry is a sponge. He soaks everything up and releases information very slowly.

He sat up at 3 months old. I believe this was because he couldn't reach what he wanted to while laying on his back.

He ROLLED OVER at 8 months old which was well past the time he was supposed to. I believe he didn't roll over since he never felt the need to. I also believe that he rolled over, finally, because it was an accident.

He never crawled. He crab crawled which was hilarious to watch. Not once did he get up on all fours and crawl.

Henry walked at 15 months. Which is right at the end of the normal range.

Henry has been huge from the start. He also had an older brother to pretty much do whatever Henry wants. There was no motivation there. Maybe, as parents, we didn't provide enough motivation but you could dwell in parental guilt all day long. It serves no purpose.

The point is, Henry has always done things when he feels he needs to do them and not a moment sooner.

For a while now, we have had some concerns about Henry's language. He has had about 10 words in his vocabulary for a while now but nothing more. Since we have taken him to a neurologist and a developmental  doctor, we know there is nothing wrong.

That boy continues to bewilder us.

Mark was reading him a Richard Scary book and Henry just starts pointing to objects and naming them with the colors. Mark and I look at each other with a "WTF" look.

Today, as Henry was sitting on my lap as I was working at the computer, he pulls "Hop on Pop" and starts to flip through the pages. I reach over him to type an email and he says, "MAMA! Trying to read a book" with such exasperation that you can tell he is truly pissed. He then hops down and takes his book elsewhere.

WTF?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this child.






3 comments: