Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tuckahoe Plantation



Or Tuck-ah-hoe, as it was spelled on several old headstones on the grounds. This is Thomas Jefferson's boyhood home but that's not what drew me here. What drew me (and, consequently, my family and The Roeders) was the farmers market. I don't know how they called it a farmers market. It consisted of a board that stated when certain meats would be available, about 3 cartons of eggs and some wool. I like farmers market eggs but that's certainly not going to make me drive 30 minutes to a farmers market when I could get them at the farmer's market down the street. The meat was interesting. The meat that was available today was lamb. Now I love lamb but as you walk in to the farmers market (before seeing the sign) they had these cute little itty bitty lambs fenced in with several people standing around petting them. So when you walk in and see the sign you wonder "Do I get to pick one and have them slaughter it? Is this how this works? Will my child EVER speak to me again? Will he ever trust what food I put in front of him?" We teach our children that meat comes from animals and that they have to die to give us this food BUT it's a little hard to explain that to your child while looking at the cutest version of a specific animal. I mean, come on.





So after we went into to look at the "farmers market," we walked out and went to look at the "menu items." When we walked up the woman said, "These are Tiny Tim and Fozzy Bear." COME ON. You named them????? I couldn't help myself. I said, "You, ummmm, named the farm animals??" She automatically got what I was saying and went on to say "Well we don't usually name farm animals but we are going to be using these as show animals so we went ahead and named them." Oh ok, gotcha, that kind of makes sense. I still don't want to buy the lamb.

Besides the disappointment that was the farmers market, the plantation was absolutely beautiful. We could not have picked a better day to go see it. The spring flowers were in bloom. The sky was clear and sunny. The temperature was mid-sixties. There was plenty of room for the kids to run around...or toddle. The children were in GREAT moods. It was just perfect. Between Laurel and myself, we must have taken about 1000 pictures. I am going to let the pictures speak for themselves. 





























































It was a wonderful day!!!

Here are some random photos for the grandparents:










2 comments:

  1. Those are great! I will have to get you to email me some of those. :) We had such a great time today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fabulous time! I love your photos! I've thought of taking my mom to Tuckahoe Plantation! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete